I recently rewatched the 1974 Gatsby to prepare for this years remake and I have to say, at twelve I did not truly get the impact of how sad the whole thing is (hope I’m not giving this away.)
The clothes are amazing, the parties to die for and the cars…(this movie also helped discover my latent car fedish.)
But all that said, a very sad tale indeed. Anyhoo, there is a new Gatsby in town, in 3-D no less, and though I haven’t seen it yet (hopefully this weekend), I will reserve judgment. The reviews haven’t been kind but my reviews will be more about the clothes than the acting in this one.
There have been several Great Gatsby’s in the movie world and I hear Fitzgerald was a dapper man. I thank him for the influence his novel had on men’s fashion. And unlike in my youth, where you had to go it on your own, there are many designers and fashion brands that have begun to put these looks, with modern lines, on the shelves. I look forward to seeing how this new movie inspires men’s fashion in the coming 2013/2014 seasons.
- The Great Gatsby (1974) vs The Great Gatsby (2013) (bryanboy.com)
- 5 Fashion Trends from The Great Gatsby (fashionplaytes.com)
- Fashion Crazed: The Great Gatsby (bigdreamsinnyc.wordpress.com)
- Past and Present Truths: The Great Gatsby (theshamelessgeisha.wordpress.com)
- Baz Luhrmann’s Great Gatsby film an over-the-top ‘must-see’ (theweek.co.uk)
- ‘Gatsby’ already setting trends (goerie.com)
- Thoughts on The Great Gatsby (1974) (maahinandfilms.wordpress.com)